Question about carbs and fat...

Hi all,

So my goal at the moment is to gain some size avoiding as much fat gain as possible (I am a fitness model as a job, and I could do with a bit more muscle mass but at the same time, too much fat gain is going to compromise my job a bit..)

I have a coach that insists that (very) high protein, high carb, low fat is the way to go with this type of goal. He says carbs and protein are not easily stored as fat, whereas fat is.

He'd have me on this macro split and insists its the best way to avoid fat gain while building muscle:

calories: 2100
carbs: 210g
protein: 210g
fat: 35g

I dont particularly get on with THAT much protein (it bloats me) and also, my digestive system and skin are helped by eating healthy fats.

So this lead me to question the advice I got. I found an article by Lyle McDonald that explains while carbs and protein aren't stored as fat, they inhibit fat oxidisation if overconsumed, leading to the same result as eating too much fat - you get fat.

I can't paste the link to the article but it's titled 'how we get fat' and is on bodyrecomposition . com. Here's a quote:

"Carbs don’t make you fat via direct conversion and storage to fat; but excess carbs can still make you fat by blunting out the normal daily fat oxidation so that all of the fat you’re eating is stored. Which is why a 500 cal surplus of fat and a 500 cal surplus of carbs can both make you fat; they just do it for different reasons through different mechanisms. The 500 calories of excess fat is simply stored; the excess 500 calories of carbs ensure that all the fat you’re eating is stored because carb oxidation goes up and fat oxidation goes down. Got it? If not, re-read this paragraph until it sinks in.

Oh yeah, the same holds for protein. Protein isn’t going to be converted to and stored as fat. But eat excess protein and the body will burn more protein for energy (and less carbs and fat). Which means that the other nutrients have to get stored. Which means that excess protein can still make you fat, just not by direct conversion. Rather, it does it by ensuring that the fat you’re eating gets stored"

In essence what I first got from this is that it IS harder to directly get fat off excess carbs and protein BUT excess carbs/protein inhibit fat oxidisation so you simply store your dietary fat as fat.

I felt that therefore there might be truth in what this coach is saying - to keep fat consumption at minimum healthy level while consuming mostly carbs. There's be therefore less available dietary fat for the body to store as fat as a result of inhibited fat oxidisation.

However, Lyle also explains: eat more carbs, burn more carbs and less fat. Eat less carbs, burn less carbs and more fat. Same for protein. So if out of preference I wanted a slightly higher fat intake, the outcome would be just the same as if I chose to have a very low fat intake - because my body has more fat it burns more fat. It's still in a surplus so some fat will be stored. But not a different amount of fat than if I reduced my fat intake to the minimum healthy level and ate higher amounts of protein and carbs - it'd be the same.

Have I interpreted his article correctly? Does it matter if I choose to have a higher fat intake on my overall body composition given my goal?

Do I need to choose either high carb low fat, or high fat low carb? Or can it all just be in moderation?

I'd like to work with these macros:
calories 2100
carbs 210g
fat 58g
protein 184g

Would just feel a bit more balanced. Sorry if this is a real newbie question.. I guess any gains I have up to this point are down to good genetics and training as I clearly dont know anything about nutrition!


from Bodybuilding.com Forums - Nutrition https://bbcom.me/2Uihmc1

0 comments:

Post a Comment