Building muscle on maintenance calories? (Based on training age and my situ..)

Hi all

Can I build muscle on maintenance calories in my particular situation? Many different people say many different things...

Here's a bit of context for my question:
- Last time I did any serious weight training before this period, was around 5 years ago.

- I've only been seriously resistance training again for the past 6 months. Only the last 3 have been progressively overloading my body and not just battering it every single time I train. I do resistance training for approx 45 min, 5 times a week. I train each muscle group twice to 3 times a week. I do HIIT training for 25 min twice a week. I take 1-2 full rest days a week.

- I was at a very low body fat % when I restarted weight training. Not exactly sure what, but extremely low.

- I weigh 57kgs, my height is 5'5, and I am female. :)

- I consume over 150g protein per day, from wholefoods mostly animal proteins.

- I am currently eating about 2100 calories a day. I WAS told to have a higher surplus, but this was by a coach who seems to [as I've found out from reading these forums] be going by stuff that was done in the 1990s, and also stuff that works on non-natural bodybuilders (most of his clients).

- I am 'natural' in terms of using steroids etc.. I supplement with creatine beta analine and l carnitine.

Based on these factors, do you think I can build muscle on maintenance calories rather than being in a surplus?

I guess I fit the 'beginner' to at *very* best intermediate trainee range. Some people say those in my situation need a HIGHER surplus to more experienced trainees in order to optimally build muscle, some people say my surplus could be lower than those more experienced. I've heard also I could even build in a deficit.

So which do you think is true? I'd ideally build on maintenance, and if my situation fits this, that'd be great. I'd like to build more muscle whilst avoiding fat gain.


from Bodybuilding.com Forums - Nutrition https://bbcom.me/2MAlCkn

0 comments:

Post a Comment