Need help getting diet dialed in

Quick back story...I recently dropped about 22lbs and had let my diet get out of hand. I reduced my net calorie intake to around 16-1700 calories/day logging everything with myfitnesspal app.

I am 6ft tall, 38 year old male. During this cut I stopped at 178lbs and wanted to start adding some lean muscle once I had gotten rid of a lot of bad weight I had gained. Many BMR calculators had me at 1850 calories and with a lightly active lifestyle working out 1-3 times per week, 2400 calories was suggested to maintain my current weight.

I have stuck with this since Oct 10th and while 2400 calories was supposed to be maintenance for me I am now up to 188lbs. These are not "noob" gains. I have worked out for years and I cannot even say it's muscle memory because before and during the cut I had worked out on a regular basis.

My diet was clean and accurate. I never missed logging a meal or anything like that so I cannot understand the massive weight gain at a level that was supposed to be maintenance calories. Many calculators suggested 3000 calories to gain roughly 1lb/week. If I ate that many calories I would gain a ridiculous amount of fat.

My macros were consistently around 43% carbs, 24% protein, and 33% fat. I'm not sure if it's due to having more carbs than healthy fats. I have thought about doing more of a 25% carbs, 30% protein, and 45% fat to see if that helps any. I know people claim you should be eating 1g of protein per lb of body weight but that's not doable either.

When consuming too much protein (anything over 120g/day) I would have to pee all the time and 2-3 times during the night waking up having to go. At first I was eating close to 1g/lb and couldn't figure out what was causing me to urinate so much. I had cut out caffeine from my diet and had no other stimulants. I started reading about high protein diets and the affects it has on some people and kidneys so I dialed it back and it definitely helped.

I recently read an article that daily calorie calculators should be based off of lean body mass and not overall weight. Even using that method and body fat calipers to estimate my daily calorie needs gaining 10lbs during this period still doesn't add up.

Sorry for the long post. Hopefully you guys can help shed some light on why this might have occurred.


from Bodybuilding.com Forums - Nutrition https://ift.tt/2Rv05eG

0 comments:

Post a Comment