Confused about coach's advice: extremely low fat diet??

Hi all! New to the group, thanks for having me :) I wanted to ask a question about macros for building lean muscle. I am being coached by a bodybuilding prep coach at the moment.

The overall goal is to build muscle while staying fairly lean. In my main job I am a model who has just broken into the fitness industry so keeping some muscle definition is important. But I'm confused about some advice my coach has given me and whether it's really necessary for my goals.

He has advised that I set my protein at 60% of my calories (which is around 80g above my protein goal for someone of my weight, even worked out at 2g per kilo). Carbs are set at 40%. Fat is only 10% of my calories. That's only 26g fat a day.

My brother who is a nutritionist has said I needn't be getting that much protein, it's just unnecessarily high. He's also said my fat intake is too low to be healthy.

I do have to say that I've got good results so far with these macros. But I'm not sure if setting fat that low and protein that high is actually necessary or is making any difference. My brother says amount of carbs and fat will make no real difference to my body composition as long as I am reaching my protein goal and training consistently.

So, is there any reason why my coach is advising me to only consume 10% of my calories in fat, and to consume such high quantity of protein?? Could I get the same results if I didnt do this? Is this extremely low fat approach just old theory which has since been disproven? Or does anyone else do this or advocate it?

I'm confused as to whether there's a scientific reason for him advising this or whether this just old knowledge that's been proven obsolete since he began as a bodybuilding prep coach? (He's been doing it for over 20 years, so I'm sure he's very knowledgeable but perhaps he's going by old knowledge that seems to work so hes stuck with it, even if it's completely unnecessary for achieving the goal.)


from Bodybuilding.com Forums - Nutrition https://bbcom.me/2BRugWK

0 comments:

Post a Comment