Long term health implications of a ‘bodybuilding’ diet?

I am a beginning-intermediate lifter, athlete, physician, and long time nutrition nut.

What are your thoughts about the long term health implications of some of the following components of the diets discussed here?

I also have questions for those who have been successful in recomping, about what amount of cheat foods you allow in your diet.

(I don’t think it matters but I’m 45, 165 pounds, a hard gainer, but making progress with about 5 pounds of weight gain in the last year and my DL has increased by about 50%.)

Examples:

- eat lots of protein - no evidence this is bad for folks with healthy internal organs. But the saturated fat in red meat and full fat dairy is clearly unhealthy for many and will contribute to atherosclerosis over time (I realize there is a vocal minority who insist saturated fat is good and monounsat oils are bad, but that is not the scientific consensus and for the sake of this post I’d prefer we ignore this for now).

- eggs (especially yolks) - the cholesterol argument has lost steam over the decades but the saturated fat concerns stand. I eat mostly egg whites but will have 3-4 eggs per week.

- bulk then cut - yo yo dieting has been associated with insulin resistance, long term fat accumulation, and obesity. How do bodybuilders avoid this? What to aged former bodybuilders look like (many years after they are no longer competing, lifting heavy, or cycling), and what do their heart, liver, brain, and kidneys look like?

- GOMAD - again the saturated fat question

- protein and weight gain shakes - tons of artificial ingredients, practically the exact opposite of ‘eating natural’ - but I cannot eat enough calories or get enough protein without them so I use the weight gain shake after squats or DLs, and the protein shakes 1-2 per day along with my diet.

- high Glycermic index foods - potatoes, rice, pasta, etc - this spikes glucose and insulin, which probably helps build muscle mass, but also stores abdominal fat and is associated with insulin resistance in the long run (and diabetes). - I eat some rice, pasta, etc, but very cautiously.

OK, re ‘cheat foods’, how often do successful dieters, whether bulking, cutting, or just maintaining, eat the following? I’d like to just hear personal experiences.

- salt - do you intentionally undersalt food? Do you eat out? I’ve been reducing my salt because while my BP is very low, I have grown concerned about the inflammatory role of salt in my blood vessels, and the strain on my kidneys.
- sugar - do you allow yourself occasional sugar? Are you not that careful? When you’re bulking do you eat plenty of it along with everything else? I eat a little chocolate. Occasionally I’ll have a dessert. I’ve pretty much given up ice cream, cake, etc, but I like those Aussie Bites from Costco.
- beans - high in carbs, decent protein, good fiber - but are they too carb heavy for the amount of protein you want? I like beans and lentils.
- wheat - I eat a lot of shredded wheat and bran. It’s very high in fiber and helps keep me regular, plus I just like it. But obviously tons of carbs. Is there room for this in my diet? What about if I try to lean out a little? This is my primary source of carbs because it’s relatively lower GI given the high fiber content.
- nuts - some like peanuts and almonds have decent protein, but they have plenty of fat. They’re good for your heart. Do you include these in your diet?
- fruit - though fruit usually has a low GI/GL, it’s very concentrated in sugars/fructose, which is converted to glucose in the liver/body and can strain the liver and contribute to fatty liver and insulin resistance if eaten in very large quantities or processed into smoothies, sauce, or juices. I love fruit but have been trying to reduce my consumption so now I only eat whole apples, pears, berries, and bananas (only if they’re a little green). I try to avoid other tropical fruits like mangos, pineapples, and papayas (except when I’m on vacation).

I really have a hard time getting enough calories to eat and gain weight, as I remain apprehensive about red meat, saturated fat, and just too much fat in general. So I tend to try to eat lean and heart healthy (not religiously, I do go out to eat pretty often) but just a lot of it. This is probably making it hard for me to gain weight and strength.

Love to hear your thoughts. Thanks for reading the book.


from Bodybuilding.com Forums - Nutrition https://ift.tt/2T9HHMm

0 comments:

Post a Comment