Do I need to watch my fat intake?

Hi all,

I have started lifting about 3 weeks ago and have tried to adjust my macros according to what seems to be generally accepted in the bodybuilding world of ~1gm protein/lb of bodyweight, 15-25% of calories from fat, and the rest carbs.

I previously followed a low-carb/high-fat diet and am having a really tough time getting my level of fat below 25% of my total calories. How important is this? What is the reasoning behind it? I've found evidence in a few research papers, but they only really talk about limiting saturated fat to reduce risk of CVD and making sure you get ENOUGH fat to not inhibit testosterone. I can't post the links because my post count is too low, but here are the titles:

Macronutrient considerations for the sport of bodybuilding. (Lambert, 2004)
Evidence-based recommendations for natural bodybuilding contest preparation: nutrition and supplementation (Helms, 2014)

Quote:

Excess dietary saturated fat can exacerbate coronary artery disease; however, low-fat diets result in a reduction in circulating testosterone. Thus, we suggest dietary fats comprise 15-20% of the body builders' off-season and pre-contest diets.
So f you keep your saturated fat low and get enough protein does the carb/fat ratio really matter? Would love to get some feedback on this... it's a struggle for me to eat lowfat (and low fiber for other reasons). My fat intake is typically 35% of total calories.


from Bodybuilding.com Forums - Nutrition https://ift.tt/2SkxLLD

0 comments:

Post a Comment