IIFYM and Performance - why do some rich foods seem to help and others don't?

It goes without saying that a balanced diet consisting primarily of whole foods is the optimal approach for long term health as well as anyone's training goals, but I'd be curious to know in layman's terms what specific things are going on which make sometimes lower calorie foods result in notably better gym performance than more calorically rich food, assuming that the demands of digestion itself isn't a variable here, and what it is between the rich ones which makes some good and others bad in the short term of lifting performance.

For instance, if I eat a breakfast of 4 eggs and a bowl of oatmeal, I usually feel great and don't lack for energy when training later on (and even if in a caloric deficit, it's notably not so bad). If I'm eating poorly, sometimes I feel relatively weak (acutely and stamina) when training even if I am easily exceeding every macro minimum I would normally have to observe to make par on a deficit. On the other hand, there are still calorically rich foods which usually result in excellent workouts afterwards: pizza and ice cream come to mind. Almost every time I eat plenty of pizza several hours before lifting, the workout rocks.

That said, there are many other foods with high macro counts across the board which seem to have the opposite effect; more examples of than not, probably, which makes me wonder what (if anything) is special about things like pizza and ice cream beyond their being rich sources of carbs, fat and protein? Has anyone else noticed this with certain foods but not others?

I would guess that things which spike and then drop your blood sugar quickly could have an adverse effect even within the same caloric amount, but that kind of glycemic index evaluation seems not very relevant here when IIFYM is brought up.

Tl;dr, just a stray thought I thought I'd put up here. Kind of a ramble so ignore unless the title interests you.


from Bodybuilding.com Forums - Nutrition https://ift.tt/zbsy1UW

0 comments:

Post a Comment