Hypertension - how much can temporary stress increase it?

Well, I just went to the doctor today and my blood pressure was concerningly high. They retested it about 10 minutes later and it had gone down about 10 points, but I was still in the range of hypertension on the second taking. I was however quite stressed both times: I really don't like being in a doctor's office and I dread having my blood drawn. I had a bad experience once when I had an unexpected vasovagal response to it and went out cold and unbreathing for over a minute - all the nurses were surrounding me trying to get me to come to when I woke up in a cold sweat, and I had a migraine and very low energy for days afterwards. Ever since then the thought of a needle going into my arm stresses me greatly, so going to the doctor puts my body on "high alert" I guess. I didn't need bloodwork this time, so it did not happen, but every single time I get blood taken except for once when I was looking away and straining all of my nerves to think about something else, I go out like someone put a chloroform rag over my face, and usually not briefly.

So, I think the anxiety that that was about to happen again might have skewed my numbers. I had it taken in January and it was at the high end of the normal range at that time. I have since then gained weight and have generally had a poorer diet, so it very well could have legitimately developed since then. I'm curious for those who monitor theirs regularly, what kind of range you typically see based upon temporary stress factors?

There's no question I'm going to do things like mitigate alcohol consumption, reduce sodium in my diet, and increase my cardiovascular work in my training, because I don't want to be complacent with a guaranteed negative health marker. I don't have a way to check it at home, however.


from Bodybuilding.com Forums - Nutrition https://ift.tt/IuVdpOk

0 comments:

Post a Comment