A novel theory on reactive hypoglycemia and hypermetabolism in recovering anorexics

I made a thread yesterday describing my recent blood work, which revealed a relatively low glucose measurement 2-3 hours after a large, high-carb meal, high-calorie meal.

After some input from others in that thread, I was inspired to I refresh my memory on the hypermetabolic state that many anorexics experience when they start weight-storing after accumulating significant energy debt from prolonged calorie restriction.

I came across this page, which outlines much of the data I read many years ago on the topic: http://www.scienceofeds.org/2014/05/...rexia-nervosa/

In short, recovering anorexics may experience varying degrees of heightened energy requirements (in many cases a VERY severe increase) due to several potential factors:

- increased TEF
- various neuroendocrine alterations
- propensity to increase NEAT while restoring weight

This got me thinking about what possible changes in glucose response those with restrictive EDs might experience after years of low energy availability.

For example:

1. if the body is consistently underfed calories, will the liver become more efficient at creating it's own glucose in the absence of food?
2. similar to #1, in such an environment, will the pancreas and metabolically active tissue then become effectively HYPER-insulin sensitive, such that it excretes more than would otherwise be created in an otherwise healthy person?


To me, this intuitively makes sense, at least. Reason being, if our tissues become chronically under-nourished, it would make intuitive sense to me that our bodies would do everything they could to saturate them with glucose and other nutrients. This heightened response could lead to over-secretion and a resulting low blood sugar as tissues soak up all the available glucose.

Contrastingly, it may also explain why personally I don't seem to experience blood sugar that low when fully fasted (it's usually around 80-90).

Perhaps the normal fasted readings are a result of my liver becoming very efficient at creating it's own glucose, considering I spent years basically running on fumes.



Maybe I'm 100% wrong, but there seems to be some logic to the idea.

Curious to know what others think.


from Bodybuilding.com Forums - Nutrition https://ift.tt/VDh83ez

0 comments:

Post a Comment