Embarking on a body transformation journey after years away

I haven't been in the gym consistently for many years. And for the last 3+ years, I experienced severe sleep issues at the places where I was staying - noise related. Locked into a year lease each time only to learn within a week it was no better and having to deal with it another year. And then the lockdowns shut down all the gyms just after I renewed my NASM certification and was ready to get serious about getting back in shape.

That said, I did not waste the time. I became steadily healthier than ever with nutrition habits, and then learned fasting and intermittent fasting, and lost 25 pounds in a couple months, and I am slimmer than ever (well since college). Yet, my muscle is mostly gone compared to college.

Over the past few years I did try to go back to the gym, but kept straining something and then breaking the habit. It was either my arm or my tricep or my shoulder and I overdid it. I can't just jump back in like no time had passed. So over the time, I would work out a week or two, but then become what I would call "injured", as in a muscle strain that would last a long time - weeks, preventing me from going back.

I think that the sleep problems were a primary culprit of this. The sleep problems were purely noise related, because I would sleep perfectly whenever there was a quiet night, which was very rare.

But now things are different. And I am ready and gearing up for regular workouts. This time I am going in light, getting extra sleep, and making sure to get enough healthy food.

This time, for the first time ever, I am tracking my food. I have discovered that after probably close to a year of fasting and intermittent fasting, I have reduced my caloric intake considerably.

I think I've been only getting 1000 to 1200 calories a day, give or take, and for me, still been maintaining. This goes against conventional wisdom which would have told me I was starving myself. No, I was not. I am very healthy.

Yesterday I consumed 2400 calories, and this was a huge surplus. I think maybe even too much. But I do need to get enough protein in my diet to recover from regular workouts. I am planning to go 4-6 times per week - although not necessarily a heavy workout every day, but rather for consistency. I say 4 to 6 because I want to get 6 days of exercise, although some days it may be walking, instead of working out.

And for the first period, I will be going lighter on the weight, to avoid any strains. And I will be getting extra nutrition and sleep to recover better. Then, I will, after adjusting, go back to the heavy weight and progressive gains I'm more accustomed to for hypertrophy.

Here's me today:
(won't let me post link to my page, just click my page and see progress photos)

I need to
fill out my biceps
define my triceps
strengthen my core
build out my chest
strengthen my legs
build up my shoulders, back, lats, traps
strengthen glutes

I'm going for the althletic look, not a bodybuilder appearance. Muscular, but not too much. I don't have to be 3% bodyfat, but I want to remain slim. I won't be going for the "bulking" phase where I eat recklessly. I will be maintaining my slimness as much as possible, while packing on muscle. It will take careful diet and adjustments, but I can do it.

The biggest thing is I want an attractive, well-rounded physique (well-rounded as in proportional), while also having flexibility, balance, strength, endurance, and power.

It will take patience. I will be going through each phase of the NASM training program, which begins with flexibility and balance, then hypertrophy, then strength, and the last phase to build power.

I think the most important thing is consistency. Proper form and correct training, and progressive overload, of course; but consistency is the foundation of everything.

Looking forward to a transformation! I will try to upload progress pictures, so follow me if you want to see my progress :)


from Bodybuilding.com Forums - Nutrition https://ift.tt/0GESLQx

0 comments:

Post a Comment