Previously pre-diabatic and wondering if I should bulk at 19+% BF.

40 y/o, 5’ 5”, 139 lb, ~19% BF.

Short term goal: 145–150 lb and 12–14% BF.

I lifted for years in my 20s but didn’t follow through on nutrition so I gained strength but not much mass. Then some chronic joint pain led me to give it up. About 6 years ago I found out I was pre-diabetic. I think it’s mostly genetic as I’ve never been close to fat but I wasn’t eating healthy. After changing my diet I’m no longer pre-diabetic and my A1C is now at 5.5, .2% below pre-diabetic. I’ll be monitoring it every 2–3 months while bulking.

I started lifting again 2 months ago and now I’m also counting calories and eating healthy. I’m currently eating 2300 calories; 40% carbs, 30% protein, 30% fat. I’m also taking creatine and BCAAs.

With that out of the way… since I started again I’ve firmed up and I’m starting to see some muscle again but I still carry most of the fat in my stomach. Using skin calipers and photo references I think I’m somewhere around 19–21% BF.

My instinct here is to slowly cut to 15% BF before bulking so I’m starting in a better place to not feel gross while bulking and not pushing my BF% up too much in case that puts me at greater risk for pre-diabetes again. I think as of right now I weight more than I ever have (I’m usually about 134 lbs). How much on average does someone’s BF% increase during a bulk (let’s say 6 months)?

A trainer I was talking to at my gym told me to clean bulk which would allow me to slowly gain muscle and lose fat. I’m guessing he was talking about recomping which is more viable when you’re just starting out? Is that done by eating just above maintenance (with clean food of course).


from Bodybuilding.com Forums - Nutrition https://ift.tt/pIzR2Yj

0 comments:

Post a Comment