Protein Intake/Bodybuilding Post-Kidney Donation

This is a tricky subject, and I know most responses will probably be "ask your doctor" or something to that effect. (this is wise advice, and I thank you in advance)

I (27M) am donating my Kidney to my mother sometime later this year. We are not sure when, but there's about an 80% chance that it will happen if all goes well. I have just gotten back into fitness from a long hiatus after breaking my arm in 2021, and have gained about 20 lbs of muscle since February.

Does anyone in this community have any experience lifting weights and dieting with only one Kidney or with Kidney complications? That includes, donors, recipients, people born with only one, or anyone with renal diseases or even minor complications?

I am 180 lbs. at the moment and the nutritionist at the donor center (not the surgeon or nephrologist), says that 1.2 grams per kg of bodyweight is the max amount of protein intake she would recommend post-donation. (this would be about 97 lbs of protein.) I have seen some instances of doctors saying a larger amount is okay, something closer to 1.5 /kg. (this would be closer to 121lbs, and much more ideal for me).

Do you think it is possible to build an impressive physique on 85-97 lbs of protein for a 27 year old, 180 lb male. I know the word impressive is relative, but I would like to eventually be 195 lbs at the same bodyfat percentage I am now. And as I said before, does anyone else in this community have any experience with something like this?

Thanks for any info on this subject, all replies, negative or positive, are appreciated.


from Bodybuilding.com Forums - Nutrition https://ift.tt/V9MRtS0

0 comments:

Post a Comment