Calories vs. Macros

Bro's and garls,

We all know:

Carbs 4
Protein 4
Fat 9

Lately I have been tracking all my calories in MyFitnessPal and I noticed that when I hit my macros exactly, the calories are way off. This is because MFP doesn't do the math of 4-4-9 but simply makes a sum of the calories per entry, and does the same for carbs, protein and fat.
So, if your tracker bar shows you ate 100 gram of carbs, that doesn't necessarily translates too 400kcal, but can be 410kcal. Why?

Because if you (or someone else) creates food in MFP, you have to specify calories, fat, protein, carbs per entry. This means you can create food with 10.000 calories and only 1 gram of carbs/fat/pr - makes absolutely no sense. Instead you should only be asked to specify the macros from which the calories are calculated.

Now I already never trusted the MFP database, so I always manually create my food/meals myself according to the Nutrition Facts label on the product. But what's funny is that even many nutrition labels are wrong themselves! For example, I have a bag of lentils here and it says:

Kcal: 305
Fat: 1.5 g
Carbs: 43 g
Fiber: 18 g
Protein: 21


If I'd do the math, that's 269.5 kcal - NOT 305 kcal

How is that 305kcal calculated?

So it's not just an issue of MFP, because if people are simply copy/paste this wrong information from the label to MFP - no wonder calories are totally off.

Now, what should I do? Forgetting about calories and just making sure I hit my macros?

I also read this:
https://www.ontheregimen.com/2015/11...-myfitnesspal/

Do food manufactures adjust for thermic effect of food and are we the only ones who use the 4-4-9 rule?

thnx


from Bodybuilding.com Forums - Nutrition https://ift.tt/2DJ9yNA

0 comments:

Post a Comment