Breaking out of skinny-fat: size of deficit?

Morning All,

So over the past two years or so I’ve steadily lost 50 pounds, from 220 to my current 170. I’m 5’11.

Unfortunately, like lots of guys I did it totally the wrong way - severe calorie restriction (I was on 1400/day until recently), not lifting and a lot of cardio. As a result, my weight loss eventually stalled and I ended up at a skinny-fat ~20%.

I’m currently on a bit of a diet break, resting and eating at maintenance while I decide what to do next.

I’m planning on essentially correcting my mistakes to date - find a solid lifting program, reduce the cardio and eat in a more moderate deficit while getting my protein.

But I’m having trouble deciding on the size of deficit though: 500 seems like it would massively impact on my ability to gain *any* strength or size; 250 seems too little to have any effect on fat loss. So I’m not sure which to choose. After doing this wrong for so long, I’m keen not to keep spinning my wheels.

Grateful for any advice. For what it’s worth, I think my maintenance calories are somewhere around 2000 at the moment, but expect it to be closer to 2300 when I start lifting again.


from Bodybuilding.com Forums - Nutrition https://ift.tt/33tJbWw

0 comments:

Post a Comment