How would you handle your kids' Halloween candy?

I know most regulars here don't have kids (or at least I presume they don't for some reason) and Halloween was cancelled here in CA at least, but if you did...how would you handle their Halloween candy? I've seen a lot of cringeworthy articles in the media that suggest maybe taking their candy and siphoning it out to them in small portions or building a "points system" where they could trade their candy for other things or rewards. IMO, this is terrible advice, and a great way to build an unhealthy relationship with food. It treats candy as a shameful thing, a resource that must be limited, and something that can be "earned" or bartered with as opposed to just being food.

My parents always just allowed me to have as much candy as I wanted. I'd typically eat an amount that made me feel sick for a couple days, then get completely sick of it and it'd end up being thrown out. Matter of fact, last time I went trick r treating at about 12-13 years old, I ate nothing but candy all day and felt like total chit. I ate a real dinner that night and felt worlds better. It taught me a valuable lesson about needing actual real food, and I never really overate candy since. The most I'd ever have would be maybe some Reese's here or there. All that to say, I don't think candy or any other dessert for that matter, should be treated as anything special with kids. They should be allowed to eat as much as they want. I think they'll move on from the candy fast without gorging themselves into childhood diabetes if candy is not some "forbidden fruit", so-to-speak, but just regular food. Thoughts...?


from Bodybuilding.com Forums - Nutrition https://ift.tt/34Sfq2d

0 comments:

Post a Comment